Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Hurt Locker


The sole reason why I bought The Hurt Locker on Blu-ray was for it's recent award in winning Best Picture at the 82nd Annual Oscar Award among other awards (Best Directing, Best Writing). It looked like a cool movie and not something I'd die sitting through. I'm not one to go after the best of the best as I have quite some obscure films in my collection and I also needed to grow my blu-ray collection. Okay, that's three reasons.

After watching the movie on my 52'' plasma in hi-def, I thought it was intense. The Hurt Locker wasn't that complicated of a movie to understand. To put it short, an EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) squad disarm bombs, go into battle for a little bit and then disarm more bombs, that's it. Since I'm a guy and I like action and battle movies, I enjoyed The Hurt Locker despite it was filmed with a shaky camera. What's with the camera and shaking it anyway? I know it's supposed to give the realistic feel to it like Cloverfield for example but it kind of worked for The Hurt Locker because it's really what is happening over in the Middle East right now and what the army and the people had to live through.

Congratulations to Kathryn Bigelow on her Best Director award and the first female to do so. I was curious to see what other films she's done and to my shock she cranked out Point Break (1991, Keanu Reeves, Patrick Swayze) and K-19: The Widowmaker (2002, Harrison Ford) which I've yet to see plus various other works that I have never heard of except for maybe Blue Steel (1989, Jamie Lee Curtis). It sucked that Jeremy Renner did not win Best Actor but then again his role in the movie wasn't hard to perform, become a reckless redneck and that's that. The rest of the characters in the movie were likeable to me. So.. I'd watch it again but I don't like it enough to need to memorize every line.

Score: 8.5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment